Friday, September 21, 2012

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

No bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are my favorite cookies ever! I've been making these babies since I was a kid.  Nothing can compare to their chocolate and peanut butter gooeyness.  However, with a full stick of butter and 2 cups of sugar they cannot be considered healthy.  I decided to experiment and make them healthy this morning. 
 
 
The first mini experimental batch I made, I left the butter completely out and did not substitute it with anything.  Also, I cut the sugar way back and used almond milk instead of whole cow's milk.  Because I cut the sugar in half, I didn't use as much cocoa either.  I kept the vanilla and peanut butter the same in each batch.  So, Batch One was edible, but not really all that good.  I missed the butter and the sweetness. 
 
 

For Batch Two, I really got crazy and added a healthy fat-- avocado.  Now, before you wrinkle your nose and turn it up at that, lemme just say, Batch Two turned out pretty darn good!  Jean and Gladys were the guinea pigs and they ate it right up and then had some more!  Nono, I did not tell them, until afterward it was made with avocado.  Also, I only added half the sugar as the original recipe and an additional half cup of honey.  Once again, I replaced the whole milk with unsweetened almond milk, and kept the cocoa, vanilla, and peanut butter the same.  This batch tasted pretty good but the trouble was it did not hold it's shape enough to be dropped into cookies.  Hence, the pan-- not bad for very moist bars though.  I'll see how they do after a night in the fridge.

 
Batch Three was the absolute best!  You know what they say-- the third times the charm!  Well my secret for batch three was that I followed the original recipe EXACTLY.  Some things are just not meant to be changed.  While I can't say these are healthy cookies, I can say they are the best ever cookies.  The key is moderation and after experimenting for myself, I decided I would much rather have one itty bitty cookie and taste of their chocolate and peanut butter gooeyness than to replace it with something that doesn't compare. 

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (Original Recipe)

Ingredients:


  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 3 cups oatmeal
  • Waxed paper

Directions:

In a heavy saucepan bring to a boil, the sugar, cocoa, butter and milk. Let boil for 1 minute then add peanut butter, vanilla and oatmeal. On a sheet of waxed paper, drop mixture by the teaspoonfuls, until cooled and hardened.
 















No comments:

Post a Comment