Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Slip or Snow?

Here in Northwest Indiana, the winter was cruising by without all that much snow-- until recently.

 

In the above pic, Stone Lake in Laporte is practically bare and slippery.  Speaking of slippery, guess what song I have been practicing on the guitar?


Yup, the Paul Simon classic, Slip Sliding Away.  Which is usually how I do on the glistening ice. :)


I have ice clets, but sometimes I feel like it's more hazardous wearing them, than without, depending on the type of ice.


Besides, sliding around is half the fun. ;)


Tony caught some really nice size perch!


I had actually planned on fishing Clear Lake in Laporte, but was badly missing my fish finder.


Plus, I still needed to get my auger fixed; the lake was baron, so no abandoned holes.

 

Snow fell like crazy overnight.


Sunday morning, church was mostly bare due to the weather.  More folk's were in the choir than in the congregation!



 
School was cancelled on Monday.  A new transducer cord arrived in the mail and I was able to fix the auger.  Gladys and I went fishing.


 Eeeeee, a fresh blanket of snow on Stone Lake just waiting for us to get out footprints all over it!!!


Gladys was into using an old school rod and reel.


Meanwhile, I was busy making snow angels in the nice fresh blanket covering the lake. ;)


I will say, with a few feet of snow, the ice isn't slippery at all.  We tried a different spot on the lake and found the usual small perch-- still.


Each time we moved to a new spot, the shanty got heavier and heavier from all the snow.  
 

Let me tell ya, it's a good workout!


Occasionally, when I wasn't resting making snow angels, I'd catch a fish.


Gladys and I caught the same little guy so many times, we named him.  Say hello to Chompy!


The weather seemed like it couldn't make up it' mind-- dark and snowy one minute, clear and sunny the next.


Gladys had a good time reeling in little perch, despite her expression.


As we walked back to the truck, I somehow managed to convince her that pulling the gear was a blast. 


I let her have a turn at the fun and did the boring job of carrying her coat. ;)


Do you see the ice rink?


Some folks had been busy while we were out there.


I admired the winter wonderland on the way home.


The house was pretty much buried in snow.  I visualize making a tunnel to the front door after we get a few more feet of snow here.


 The next day, I headed out to Loomis Lake in Valparaiso.  Yeah, I could still walk!

The fish were biting, but everything was fairly small-- a bass, gills and more perch.
 
 

Going down the hill to the spot off the beach was fun.  Getting back up it through 4 feet of snow, wasn't nearly as fun.  I'm now fully convinced that I could use a Smitty Sled-- my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment