Sunday, January 24, 2016

Why I Put Fish Back

Hi There!  

I have been out fishing a couple times this past week, for the first time on ice this season.  My first fish of the year was a bluegill!  I'm still waiting for that awesome day were they are biting like crazy!


I've yet to use my tip-ups this year.  When I hook into a fish bigger than a average bluegill, my first thought is--"What am I stuck on?", at least until I feel that fish pulling back!  The funny thing is I hardly ever get stuck on stuff (other than fish) while fishing through a hole in the ice.


This is Brian, him and his brother were fishing tip-ups and he got this beauty:


I caught a hook swallower gill, and Brain's brother gave me his bass.  Both fish, were decent in size and since I thought they were goners anyway, I'd take em home and clean them. 


Both the bass and the gill were frozen ice bricks as I put em in the bucket and left the lake.  I came home, dumped the icy fish in the kitchen sink, changed out of my snowsuit, played with Sophie, talked on the phone and generally piddled around.  Then it occurred to me that I should try out my new electric knife and take care of these fish.




So, I wash the new knife blades as instructed and put it together.  Then I rinsed the fish. As I placed the blades next to the basses tail, he CAME BACK TO LIFE and FLIPPED right off the counter top!



I jumped and recalled why I don't usually keep fish.  The bluegill (which mind you, was also froze solid before I rinsed em off) also began to flip.  I took it as a sign from God that these fish were to live.  I released them into private water near my house; they swam away.  True Story!!!


Sunny Saturday, I was fortunate enough to be the guest of honor at an auger party.  I got to try a black Strikemaster Laser, a baby blue NILS, and a green brand new electric ion auger!  It was a fun day out on the ice.  The bite on the main part of Loomis was tough, but I met an 8 yr. old that caught a bluegill.


Check out that sky^ 

Ice fishing totally makes winter fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment