Saturday, June 25, 2016

Ferry to Catalina Island

The day after arriving in California, we headed out to Catalina Island via ferry.


The weather was nice out, like 86 degrees Fahrenheit.  Although California's 86 is much different than Indiana's 86.  It was another misty morning, but the air had a coolness to it, and it wasn't the muggy humidness I am familiar with back home.



Troy convinced us to ride on the upper deck in the fresh air. 


The distance from the mainland to the island is approximately 26 miles.  It takes an hour and 15 minutes by ferry.


Holy Smokes-- it's the Titanic!!!   Nope, sadly that ship sank, but it is her sister ship-- The Queen Mary!!!


I thought the ferry was large until it got close to some of these ships!


The cruise ships were massive!  The pics do not do them justice.


Upon leaving the canal, and the no wake zone, the ferry took off like a jet, for the island!    



I decided to change seats and go exploring.


Every view was soooo cool!  The Pacific Ocean and all it's massiveness has me in awe!


I kept watching for whales!   That seems like a strange thing to even type.  Whales!  


After the first hour, I started to settle down.  I don't think I seen any whales, but I did see some type of big critters, which I later concurred they were sea lions.


Before I knew it, Catalina Island came into view!



The plan was to go parasailing and I totally had butterflies in my stomach!


I mean, I'm not afraid of heights, I'm just afraid of the parachute malfunctioning and me crashing. 


That nightmare tends to end with sharks devouring my body.  Thank goodness the ocean water was clear and all I noticed were happy, orange, garibaldi fishes!


Catalina Island is home to several buffalo brought over to make a movie film and then left behind.  I didn't feel to sorry for the buffalo as it seems like a nice enough Island to be stranded on. ;-)



I know in the past, I did a jigsaw puzzle of this exact scenery!



Folk's-- Here is the MONEY SHOT! 


The above pic is my favorite! 


The dogs eventually got some breakfast too!


After breakfast, which was the best egg sandwich ever, it was time to parasail!!!!



I'm soooo ready!!!!  ;-)








No comments:

Post a Comment