Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Sloppy Joe's & Apple Dumplings

MEAT!  
For the longest time I couldn't even look at raw meat without feeling ill.  If I stare at this pic for another sec, that ill feeling reoccurs. 


The weird thing is I think Sloppy Joe meat simmering away in the crock pot smells delicious.  Even if getting it to that point makes me wanna-- um nevermind.


I was asked how I make Sloppy Joes.  All I do is cook and drain ground beef and add Manwich.
  

Sometimes I make a homemade sauce, but this time I took the easier route.


Saucy Sloppy Joes are where it's at Folk's!  Oh, letting it simmer while the kids work up an appetite picking pumpkins is essential.  Food will always taste better when the eaters are super hungry!  ;-)

I tried a new Apple Dumpling recipe on the hungry crowd.  They were all eager guinea pigs.  Oh hey, check out my new kitchen island:



Yes, it's my dryer.  The laundry room sprung a leak the other day, and the dryer had to be moved until the repairs are completed.


The recipe only uses 2 big Granny Smith Apples.  You could use any kind, but the tartness of the Granny Smith complements the other ingredients well.


This is one of those super easy dishes to make, as it calls for refrigerated crescent rolls.


It's like pigs in a blanket only with apple slices.


Caramel sauce and Mountain Dew, yes the Dew, are poured over it all and then it gets baked.


Family and friends ate every bit of it up.


It's an oooey gooey combination of sweet and tart.


Apple Dumplings
  • 2 whole Granny Smith Apples
  • 2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
  • 2 sticks Butter
  • 1-1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • Cinnamon, To Taste
  • 1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda
Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.

Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.

Borrowed from: The Pioneer Woman


Sophie and I have been totally enjoying the fall weather. 


I read to her.  She is a fan of washing machine repair manuals.  :-/


That is, when she is not busy keeping the yard free of squirrels.


My squirrel watch dog-- I feel safe.  :-)


Check out that awesome blue sky!


My truck is in the shop and I got to borrow Mom's car. 


It was detailed and accidentally stored away in the barn wet, which resulted in a mold problem.


Fortunately, the mold wasn't hard to remove.


I felt like I was coating Mom's car with shaving cream.  The interior looks much nicer now, and a little sunshine was good for it too.



The car drives sooo smooth, has been freshly cleaned, and is built like a tank.  It's for sale, for more info feel free to send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment