Friday, April 24, 2015

Lake Michigan Coho/ Sick at Sea

I had a fishing dry streak; that is to say, for a few days I didn't get any fish. :(


I kept trying for those Michigan City harbor cohos and never did manage to do well there.


Friends took pity on me, and I got to go after the coho's out in the lake.


Lines were put out and we were ready to reel em in!


The weather was very nice.  A cool breeze was in the air, and it wasn't too hot or too cold.


I find it thrilling to be out on the big lake (Lake Michigan).


The water in the harbor was muddy and calm.


Out from the harbor the water seemed so clear, but was very choppy and had waves rolling in.  It was a blast to cruise in!  I even liked getting sprayed with the mist, but was trying not to be a wet head for the rest of the day.  Garrett made a decent shield though. :) 


Once we reached our destination Plainer boards were set out to keep the lures out and away from the boat.  It was shortly after this point, that all of the sudden, I began to feel ill.


Before I knew it, we had a bite and Garrett handed me the rod!!!  I felt a good, definite tug, and then I still thought I had the fish on, but didn't.  The resistance of cutting through the water using the plainer boards made it hard to tell.


We did catch fish, and they were flippy and slippery! 


We reeled in 4 and missed 2, or in fishing terms were 4 of 6.


The fish were so pretty and it was very exciting and I became very sick.


I hardly ate any breakfast that morning, just a bit of toast and half an apple.  I thought to myself, I am NOT sick.  I DO NOT get SEASICK!  Yet, apparently I do, cause I did, and had to vomit.  Blahhh.


Afterward, I felt much better.  And reeled in more fish! 


I was a bit tired to begin with from not sleeping well, and I wonder if that had anything to do with getting seasick.  Lesson learned-- take some meds before going out on the big lake!


The dry streak was officially OVER!!!!  A big thanks to Hambone and Garrett for some great memories!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment