Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Shopping Weekend

 Hello January! 



I've begun to accept being cold.  This is something I tend to go through every year.  It starts to get cold out and I fight it.  I start wearing gloves and a hat.  My coats get thicker and thicker.  I put an extra layer on, than another.  Well, I'm MAXED out now.  Each time I go out to play, I've got all the layers I can handle on and still my body is cold.  Who knows, maybe it really is a thyroid problem.  All I know is, today was the day that I bundled up and went outside knowing full well that its winter and I'm going to be cold.  In other words, I quit trying to fight it.  It's funny, but I've even contemplated embracing the cold as never before-- by taking the POLAR PLUNGE.  You see, jumping in a freezing cold lake all the sudden appeals to the rebel in me.  Maybe if I did such a thing, I'd have a new perspective on cold.  Anyways, I'll keep ya'all posted.




Did ya'all know I was in the market for a new mattress?  Well, I am. My current mattress makes me totally miss my water-filled mattress.  It's not very old, but it's super soft and not good for a husband with back issues, than again I guess the waterbed wasn't either.  I thought we would be good candidates for the Sleep Number bed, since I like a soft snugly bed and my husband, in his own words to the sales person says, "I caveman, I like rock!" .  See what I'm up against?  The Sleep Number seems to offer the best of both worlds.


The only trouble is that, we didn't like it.  To be fair, we never even tried the true Sleep Number brand, yet.  It was what our sales person referred to as comparable though.  The thing we didn't like was the ridge in the middle of the bed that formed between us.  I felt like I had a kid I still needed to tuck in, granted it did hold still though. :) 

We went on to look at the other beds in the showroom and Boy, was I sticker shocked!  My favorite bed was almost 4 grand!  Are you kidding me?  What the heck are they making these beds out of?
 

And it didn't stop with just the mattress, the suggested fitted protector sheet was $200.  Yikes!!  I felt like I was living in the dark ages and all the sudden my bag of feathers and leaves and the husbands rock would be perfectly fine.  


Then we took a look at a mid-range bed and it was comfy too.  Actually, it was really hard to tell how I liked one bed from another because I needed to try it out for the night.  The five minutes of lying down were nice and all, but it's not the same as trying to fall asleep.  We decided to-- sleep on it (pun intended), hehe.  Yes, we went home with nothing, except the thought of possibly hanging hammocks from the ceiling.


For lunch, I tried something new to me, roasted red peppers.


I thought they looked pretty. So, I put one on my veggie burger.


Took a big ole bite, and guess what?  I didn't like it.  They have a taste that reminded me of nail polish remover.  If only they tasted as good as they looked.  I'm sticking with the good ole tomato from now on.



Saturday we all went to a flea market in Indy. 


Gladys and Troy got to try out some exercise devices.  I liked the flippy chair; I used to play on one of those in the basement when I was a kid.



Glenn picked out his ultimate salt and pepper shaker.  Slowly he is taking over decorating the house. Soon we will be living in a kitchen full of dragons and a living room full of aliens.  Blah, Send Help!


He has begun making an alien mask.  A Predator Bio-Mask to be specific.  Sigh.



Well, the good news is, (to make up for the snow days), the kids have school on Martin Luther King Day!  YaY!!  After all, I can't have em just hanging around the house, bugging me, eating ice cream, and making faces now can I? 


Ahh, we took the Ice Cream Eaters out to Steak N Shake.  Jean and I both had the Frisco melt.  While Glenn ate a triple decker cheeseburger with bacon all by himself, as usual. 


We made it home in enough time to make snow angels before the wind picked up.


And go sledding.


And snowshoeing/skiing.


Gladys got these old snowshoes out of the basement.  She really books down the hill on em.


Sunday morning was blueberry pancake time.  Yum.


Our church services were cancelled due to the weather.  It surprised me since it really didn't seem to be hazardous out.  We decided to go to our old church instead of just staying home.  We all really liked our old church and thought they had a very captivating message about DOING God's word.  The commitment we have to help our current church lasts until March.  After that, I'm not sure where God will have us worshiping at or in what ways we will get to serve. Hmm... Does Hawaii need missionaries?  jk

After church, we changed into our play clothes and went to the hardware store for a new shower head.  I like me a good shower.  The old one was broke and spraying all over the place.  Jean and Troy took an imagination toboggan ride. 


When we got home, I made veggie stir fry for supper.  It consists of a package of frozen veggies, the rest of the kale I had on hand, an egg, garlic, and whole wheat noodles. I make my own sauce out of soy sauce, jelly, and bit of red wine.  Good stuff.  I don't measure, but just toss in a little of this and that.


For a snack later, I had strawberries, pineapple and cottage cheese.  Oh, and iced tea.  It does seem kinda weird to place a glass of iced tea on a winter scene place mat. 


But I like it anyways.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment