Sunday, January 26, 2014

Coffee Cake and America's Got Talent

Oh Boy, I have a lot to tell you!  First, lemme start off with the weather.  It's been crazy here.  One day will be completely freezing cold negative something and the next will be almost 40.  Plus, the wind has been totally nuts.  The wind was so bad that it blew the fuse out from the power line going to my house. It's fixed now.

The weather was also responsible for a major change in my weekend plans.  I was looking forward to going up north to Valparaiso this weekend to visit Mom and do some ice fishing with friends.  Also, Heather, my niece with the twins in the oven, had her baby shower this weekend.  Well, come time to head north and the weather was blowing snow so bad that the highway was closed.  Sigh.  I made Coffee Cake to take on the trip that I never went on.  This creamy, nutty-topped cake melts in your mouth.  (Recipe at the end of this post.)



The one good thing about this freezing cold weather is-- the lakes are froze and it's ice fishing time!  Woohooo!  
 

The quarry near my house had no trace of footsteps.  I walked to the end of the pier and tested the snow covered ice.  I was happy to find a solid 5 inches.  Fishing time!


Before I could really stay there out for a few hours with the kids and fish, I needed to prepare a few things.  A heated ice shanty makes cold weather fishing so much nicer.  Thus, I went home and loaded up the shanty.  I also, needed propane for the lantern, which I thought was stored in the toon.


It wasn't in there, but Jean found it at the house.  However, Glenn talked me and the kids into going to the Indy Convention Center.  Mainly cause I needed to visit a bait shop.  This is what the day looked like from my back yard:


As we ventured out, I could see why the highway (65northbound) was closed.


Then it got worse.  There were times the driving conditions were a complete white out.   


We arrived safely at out destination.  The Convention Center was having a Golf Show and hosting America's Got Talent auditions; Glenn was there for both.


At the Golf show we all took turns trying out the latest styles of drivers.  Jean, Gladys and Troy each did very well.  I did okay.  Glenn rattled a few lights.


Noo, that is not golf jargon, he literally hit the lights with the ball-- several times.  Incredibly, he also managed to get a few on the green.


After the golfing, we went to the set of America's Got Talent (AGT).  However, the rules state that only the contestant and there plus one are allowed.  Do you think that was going to stop us? 


Not a chance.  The holding room was packed.  The kids found random strangers to take them in.  JK-- sorta-- I stayed with them.  It was neat seeing everyone getting there acts together-- pun intended.  :)


The random strangers were really nice and cooperative.  We even got autographs from some.  It will be interesting to see which acts will get picked.  They will all find out in February sometime.


A singer, Reece'cee Cup, that the kids liked, (and incidentally asked him to be there daddy), caught us in the hall as we were leaving for a pic:

Coffee Cake

 
Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
1 Tsp. Soda
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese

Topping:
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
2 T. Butter

Preparation: Cream butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla.  Beat flour, soda, salt and baking powder into the wet mixture.  Add sour cream and cheese.  Spread in 2 round cake pans, or one 9 X 13- inch pan.  Mix all topping ingredients together and sprinkle over cake batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment