Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Apple Turkey Burgers

Holy Smokes!  Can you believe it is only two weeks till Halloween?  Time has just been flying by here.  My kids are all thinking about the fun of dressing up and endless candy.  Btw-- I have a major sweet tooth in case that has not been apparent thus far.  :)  Despite my sweet tooth, I am still trying to eat as healthy as I can.  I made Apple Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Onions. 
 
 
 
Ever since I came across a recipe for apples in chili I kept thinking about all the different foods apple would go well with.  Well today I have found a winner!  Let me tell you-- turkey burgers never tasted so good! 
 
 
Start off by grating up a sweet and tart apple.  I picked Granny Smith, but any sweet and tart apple will do.  The apple keeps these patties nice and moist while adding that bit of unique zing!

 
Next, mix the grated apple with ground turkey, and spices. Then shape them into patties.  I had the hubby do this part since I don't touch raw meat if I can help it.  I'm just weird like that.
 
 
Meanwhile, let's caramelize us some onions!  Caramelized onions add a sweetness and compliments the apple nicely.

 
To caramelize the onion, all I did was slice and saute it, over low heat, in a bit of extra virgin olive oil until golden brown and slightly transparent.

 
The onions can also be caramelized by brushing with olive oil and put over low heat on the grill.  Glenn fixed his hot dog supper again.  Healthy food tends to scare him.  One of these days, I can see us both with our perspective blogs:  Pendleton_Gal Gets Fit and Pendleton_Guy gets Fat.  Jk-- sorta,  he's rather quite the athlete.
 
 
WaaLaa!  When the patties are no longer pink in the center they can be assembled onto the bed of lettuce.  I placed shredded mozzarella cheese between the lettuce and the patty, then topped it off with the onions and a side of thinly sliced apples. Yummm!

 
 
 

Apple Turkey Burgers

Adapted from Kirstin Porter 

Ingredients:
(Serves 4)

1 jumbo sweet onion, cut in half then sliced thin
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1lb 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
2 Granny Smith apples, 1 finely grated, 1 sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt & pepper
mozeralla cheese
8 cups spring mix lettuce OR 4 buns
Sweet n Spicy Honey Mustard

Instructions:

Heat olive oil in a large pot or skillet over medium heat. Add onions, season with salt and a little bit of pepper, then cook, stirring every so often until onion reaches a dark caramel brown color, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine ground turkey with grated apple, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and lots of salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties then brush each side with extra virgin olive oil and cook over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the center.

Divide lettuce amongst plates then top with apple slices, cheese, burgers, and caramelized onions. Drizzle with honey mustard and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment