Monday, October 8, 2012

Curiosity & Roasted Brussel Sprouts

 
I hope everyone had a good weekend!  Mine was really busy and full of exciting events.  I had my inaugural trip to Carmel, Indiana where I found a Whole Foods grocery store that I've been wanting to visit.  This store just has a way of sparking my curiosity for food.  The sample ladies were offering tapioca sized couscous, which was fantastic.
 
 
 
I wasn't sure about it at first because I thought it was a type of fish egg, but after thoroughly checking the ingredients I tried it, and liked it.  The couscous was fixed India style with an array of exotic flavors.  And if that wasn't enough living on the edge for you, I also tried Chinese Sesame Tofu.  Both dishes were much more complex that the pics give them justice. 
 
 
Since I liked them both so well, I brought home some of each for my family to try.  Plus, a few other intriguing food items, like this Whipped Tofu Raspberry Mousse with almond topping: 


And these Kale snack chips:

 
Which to my amazement are very tasty and have a nice, natural, and rather short ingredient list.
 
 
It's basically just dehydrated kale with a fake cheese topping.

 
Oh, I also got one of these:

 
Nope, it's not a suet block for the birds, hehe.  It's another India inspired treat; nuts and seeds loaded with cardamom and other exotic spices.

 
After trying all those unusual foods I was feeling quite brave.  Brave enough to even fix these babies up:

 
I don't know why, but when I was growing up I never, ever, had brussel sprouts.  So it wasn't until my adult life when I had the opportunity to try them.  I did not like them at first.  Now, however, I've developed a fondness for the cute little cabbages. 

 
I found a simple healthy recipe that I like so much it converted me.  All I do is cut off the stem and remove the outer leaves, then slice them in half and lay them out on a cookie sheet.  Preferably not your best one, (these babies can leave a mark).  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dry mustard.  Roast for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, turning once after the first 10 minutes.

 
The result is tasty, salty and savory batch of veggies that fall apart in your mouth. :)

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment