Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Running

Running is my new found love.  Even though I've been doing it for the past few decades, I used to hate it.  Unless I was being chased or chasing something I just never seen the point.  Then about 6 years ago, after my youngest child was born, I began to like it a little bit when it seemed like the only time I had to think.  Then I used running as a way to sort my thoughts, a common 20 minute escape from the chaos a houseful of kids brings. 

Like most Americans, I was introduced to running in middle school gym class when we had to run mile in 12 minutes or less.   Back then it was pure torture, and me and my classmates were convinced it was all one big conspiracy to keep us kids in line.  That way of thinking was confirmed in my adult military life as well.  Literally service men and women are running in uniform lines.

From time to time in my life, I had periods where I didn't run unless it was necessary to minimize the wetness of a downpour.  Nowadays though, running has become an important part of my life and here's why:

First, running helps me feel closer to God.  People have all kinds of tactics for strengthening endurance.  Mine is to pray and do math problems.  I know it sounds silly, but it seems to be working out well for me.  It usually goes something like pretending to run with my best friend and having a conversation about being thankful for the weather or the scenery, then it turns into deeper issues, just as if I was talking to a real person although I don't usually actually talk out loud, just in my head.  The beauty of running in prayer is physical and spiritual benefits all at once.  The math problems come in when the prayer ends and my mind is quiet.  Suddenly a change in focus occurs and I realize I'm having a hard time breathing and my legs are tired.  So, after a few deep breaths to regain control of my breathing, I visualize a math problem.  The problem gets more detailed and in depth depending on the distance I wish to run.  For example, if I only have a couple minutes to go, I recite the 6th or 8th time tables.  However, if I have more than say-- seven minutes to hang in there, I try to think of a future date and how much it would take to get there.  Like money for a vacation in a year from now or what I would weigh 15 weeks from now if I lost 1.5 pounds a week, but include the weeks of Christmas and Thanksgiving.  Yeah, it can get complicated with a farther destination, but the point really isn't the math involved, but rather the thought process.  The bonus of praying and doing math is completing a good run while strengthening a spiritual relationship and the left side of your brain; all the while keeping yourself distracted from that little voice in your head saying you've had enough and it's time to quit.

Secondly, running helps me keep fit.  I've noticed over the years that when I run on a regular basis my weight reflects it.  Like most runners, I've had my share of injures and even during those small periods of time when I've had to sit out to heal, I've noticed an increase in my weight.  Running alone burns a bunch of calories, plus it motivates me to make better food choices.  For instance, when I complete an intense run I know I'm going to be hungry.  My choice is a high protein meal with plenty of nutrients.  When I don't run and feel hungry, I tend to take in a higher amount of empty calories. Beverage choices seem to be the same way.  Soda Pop is one source of empty calories.  On days I run, I tend to drink water exclusively without giving it any thought.  The days I don't run, I tend to chose beverages more for taste than for thirst quenching.  So, for me, the simple act of running motivates me to be healthy in my eating too.

Lastly, running nowadays is like treating myself to something really good.  It's my stress relief and I feel a high from it.  I like the challenge, the fresh air, and getting all sweaty.  All these reasons, plus feeling closer to God and keeping fit, fuel my passion for running.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment