Monday, March 24, 2014

Coydog and Cookies

Hello!

The other day, while coming back to the house from the quarry, I spotted what I thought was a coyote near my house.  Do you see him out there in the middle of the pic?


Here is a zoomed in, close -up:


When I got home, I emailed the pic to someone who knows a bunch about wildlife and he told me he thought it was a coydog; part coyote, part domestic dog.

Well, the quarry is all open now!!  YAY!  The fish have not moved in yet though.

 
I decided to go hunt down some other fish and donned my neoprenes to wade the White River. 


The water was fairly clear, and seemed to be at a normal level, as the current was mild.


I'm looking forward to getting me some bass.  This seems like Easter Egg hunting, but for lucky fish instead of eggs.  How FUN!


So, I get out there-- I'm trying my darnedest to enjoy some Spring fishing, and it begins to snow.  My flyrod eyes are iced up, my waders have a slow leak in em, and my toes begin to get cold.  Sigh.


This was the before pic:

 I went back to the house and made "healthy" cookies.
 

Oats and chia seeds are mixed with fruit to create a yummy, and healthy snack.


Hey-- it's my first time cooking with coconut oil.


These cookies are not real sweet, made according to the recipe, but yummy with a light lemony taste.


The blueberries are supposed to get mixed in, but I liked em better as a topping.
 

Blueberry Lemon Cookies

Makes 14 breakfast cookies
Adapted from Gluten Free on a Shoestring
Ingredients
3-3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 medium bananas)
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 cup  coconut oil, melted
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1lb blueberries, rinsed then patted dry
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Add oats baking soda, salt, and chia seeds to a large bowl then mix to combine. Add applesauce, banana, honey, coconut oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice then mix until just combined. Carefully fold in blackberries then let batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
  3. Scoop 1/4 cup batter (I used an ice cream scoop) onto prepared baking sheet then wet hand with water and press down to flatten slightly (cookies will not spread.) Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown around the edges and set on top. Cool completely then store in an airtight container for up to 2 days, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or wrap individually in plastic wrap then freeze in a freezer bag. Wrap in a paper towel then microwave for 20 seconds to thaw.







No comments:

Post a Comment