Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ice Fishing Loomis

Hey You!

Yes YOU!

Wake up-- WAKE UP--WAAAKEEE UUUUP!!

It's March already; Spring is almost here!!!  Time to come out of hibernation!  :)  

Well, with that being said, I went to Valparaiso this weekend to enjoy some more winter ice fishing.

First, I've been meaning to show ya'all the custom ice rod Gladys won at the Wawasee tourney.


It was made by the man in the red vest:

Now, about this much-to-short weekend.  Friday, when the kids got home from school, the family and I headed up to Valpo.  The little kids got dropped off at the in-laws in Chesterton.

Then, the rest of us stopped to meet Grace and her new boyfriend, Joe, at AJ's Pizza.


I was really tired, and after a belly full of beer n pizza-- ready to go home and sleep. 


Saturday morning, I was up bright n early though.  Before fishing, I had to exchange my Mr. Heater at Wally world.  Then drop off Glenn and Jean at the Valpo Taekwondo school.  Jean and Gracie tested for their 2nd degree blackbelt this weekend. 

Next, I headed to Loomis Lake and was sidetracked by a church sale.  I found the picture frames I've been looking for to use on a pending project of mine.  Yay!  More on that later.


I arrived at Loomis feeling very confident my fish would be in the spot where I last left em, (3 years ago). 


My friend, Dave, from Duneland Fly Fishers, kept me company for a bit. 


The ice was barren, cept for one unhappy man, who was walking out as I was walking in.  Lucky for me, he had holes drilled all over the place.  Not exactly in, or near my spot though.  The temptation was much to great not fish his abandoned drilled holes.  I didn't read many fish on the finder, but was hoping for a nice bass or pike to come along anyways.  After I jigged those holes, and read the depth on the finder, I knew exactly where my saddle spot was.  However, I ran out of propane and needed a break for lunch.  After lunch, I said goodbye to Dave, then headed back out to visit me some fish.


Surprisingly alone on a late Saturday afternoon, I headed over to my favorite spot ever on all of Loomis Lake, and.... taadaa... my fish where there waiting for me!!!  The trouble was, they didn't want to bite very well and I couldn't manage to get any biggins before running out of propane a second time. 

At that point, I was tempted to head over to Flint lake for the night crappie bite.  Instead, I packed up and went home.  Mom, Jean, Glenn and I gabbed n played a couple hands of cards.  When the clock struck 7pm, I headed to BED.  I know-- pathetic.  The elders stayed up and partied while I snoozed.

Sunday morning, I had hopes of doing some more fishing, but Glenn was concerned about the bad weather on the way.  We hit the road early and made it back to Pendleton without any problems.


This was the snowy scene for most of what I managed to stay awake for on the ride back:

We stopped to feed our hungry monkeys (kids) at Denny's on the way home.  Gladys took this pic of me sleeping at the table:


You know how it is when your all bundled up, nice n warm, worn out from the day before, and an extended hibernation just feels right?  I'll tell ya, as long as it's snowy and cold out I may sleep till spring weather arrives.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz   :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog!!! You are always on the go. No wonder you are tired. :)

    ReplyDelete