Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Mushy Morels

My partner and I went shrooming, on a very wet day, right after a heavy rain.


The woods was thick with greenery and my feet quickly became soaked and slushy inside my shoes.



The weather was fairly warm and after days of searching, a little dampness wasn't about to deter me.  Suddenly, I spotted it-- a large tree that looked promising!




There's something about grand trees that I find appealing.  This one in particular, had me lingering near it for quite some time.

 

Part of it's charm was all the nooks and crannies that my eyes felt the urge to search.  Ughh-- more toadstools!

 

Wait a second, here's another promising looking tree:

  

 Several dozen promising looking trees later...

  

I found my first morel of the season!!!!  And another!!!  The only trouble was that these morels weren't quite right.
  
They were extremely mushy and crumbled as I gently tried to touch them.



I was having a major "Charlie Brown moment" right then.  All those times I've searched, and it figures, that when I finally found em they were icky!!!!  AUghhhh!  Good Grief!


I got back on the horse (sort of speak).
How many morels do you see?


Suddenly, it felt like a magical place.  I heard harp music and expected to see pretty little fairies fluttering about.


I'll just move some of these flowers over and check under them...



...Eeeeeeek, a SNAKE!  Oh, it's just a frog.... nevermind.




The morels were much more hidden then I had expected them to be. 


 
Nonetheless, I found several and scoured the area thoroughly to be sure I harvested all of the bounty.



Each time, I thought I had found the last one, I'd check under a plant and there would be another morel!

 

 At the end of the day, I had a dozen morels!


Eight morels that seemed fine, and four morels that were a mushy mess.


They all got a cool salt water bath, but in separate dishes.  :)

To be continued....







No comments:

Post a Comment