Sunday, December 28, 2014

Baked Alaska

Gas prices in central Indiana right before Christmas Day:

 

Wow, a $1.89 is the lowest I've seen it in a long time.  Ya know what is funny? For years, I never traveled on 65 to Indianapolis, and now I frequently take that route to Indy.  I still prefer the 421 route, though.  I just find it funny, how all of the sudden, life puts you on a completely different path.


We arrived back at home right before Santa.  In just enough time for the kiddies to make a few homemade gifts, and set out goodies for Santa.


The kids were excited to give homemade stepping stones, but even more excited to see Grandmas reaction to Chocolate Covered Potato Chips!  Grandma, it was either the chips or crickets-- you can thank me later.  ;)


Mom, the kids, and I planned out a Christmas supper.  Dessert was to be a Baked Alaska which I prepared ahead of time.


A fudgy brownie recipe made for a nice base.


The only trouble was the bowl I had first picked was too big and I didn't have enough brownie left for the lid.


No worries though, I just transferred everything to a smaller dish.


After filling the brownie-lined dish with ice cream (two flavors, chocolate and strawberry), I placed the top on and it was ready for the freezer.

 

The concoction was froze overnight and turned out at Mom's house.


Then the meringue (1 cup sugar, 4 egg whites and 1/4 cup water) was whipped, and whipped... and whipped some more... and finally spread over the brownie.


Thus, I had a nice neat igloo cake looking dessert:


Until I realized Mom's oven is small and the pan didn't fit inside!  So, it all got transferred to a smaller pan.


And then Baked!


The dessert came out great and was a BIG hit!


The pictures, well they are not so great.  Let me just say that the ice cream in the center was melted just right; not to much and not to little.


Even the kitties were excited about Christmas.  They played a few rounds of Slap Each Other Silly, over who gets to sniff the gifts.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment