Monday, June 1, 2015

Willow Slough

Hiya Folk's!
I fished Willow Slough for the first time!  


It was nicer than I had expected. :-)


The weather was beautiful, very warm and breezy.


My friend, Terry, and I hunted unsuccessfully for bluegills.  We thought spot's like this looked promising:


Or maybe over here:


After awhile, I threw in the towel on the bluegill hunt and started fishing for bass.  Somehow, a poor bass managed to gulp down the lure so far, that in doing so, it pierced his tonsils.  The lure was removed and the fish swam away just fine. I didn't charge for the partial tonsillectomy. :)


The place was busy with birds and fish, just how it should be.


Terry and I took turns catching fish; it was awesome. 


Either I had a bass, or he did, and in the few quick seconds in between, we enjoyed the scenery.


The bass seemed to bite on every plastic lure I offered em.  They even enjoyed a Ribbit Frog; it was my first time catching em on that.  The Watermelon Worm and  Black Sluggo were two of the most productive lures I used.


Of the 13 fish I boated, they were all hooked very well.  Sometimes, Terry helped me get the hook out because it was in so well.


The pic below doesn't show it, but this fish had a reed stuck through the piercing of his lip.  I removed it for him.  He's going to have to come up with another way to express himself. ;-)


Catching bass was sooo much fun!!!  The crazy fish would follow the lure and strike at it just a few feet from the boat!  Every single time that happened it surprised me!


Terry spotted a down tree in the water; he caught three bass from that spot!


These bass were all decent size too!  We boated a total of 23 large mouth bass-- my best bass day EVER!!!!! 


Willow Slough fascinated me to no end.


I was perplexed that it was challenging to find bluegills, but bass were so plentiful.


Sometimes, I wouldn't feel or see the bass strike.  I was like-- oh man, I think I got some weeds again!  Amazingly, while reeling in what I thought was a cluster of weeds, the fish sooner or later would go nuts and jump out of the water.  That always clued me in that I was reeling in more than weeds. :-)


Fishing totally takes me to the ZONE!  The ZONE is a place in my mind, a state of concentrating, that fosters creative thought and promotes relaxation.


Yeah, that's what the ZONE is for me!


The damselflies really liked Terry's hat.  Seconds before the shot was taken, 6 of em were hitching a ride on top of his hat.


I think the bass wanted to pose with the sunset:


:-)  A big THANKS to Terry for taking me to this place! :-)


Oh, what a gorgeous sunset!!!




4 comments:

  1. Nice! You guys did great. I have been wanting to do a fly fishing trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many acres is that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking there is over 1000 acres of water

    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3080.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Slough_Fish_and_Wildlife_Area

    9956 acres, of which1800 acres are wetland. :-)

    ReplyDelete