Friday, August 17, 2012

More Zuke Ideas

Yeah, I'm a little bit zucchini crazed lately.  It's not even that I like them all that much (tomatoes are definitely my fav) but my folks instilled the waste not want not in me.  So here are a few more good ideas for all those zukes:




Zucchini Cookies
Makes 2 Dozen

Ingredients:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup (4oz) unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup finely grated zucchini (squeezed of excess moisture then measured)
1-1/4 cup quick oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
4oz fat free cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Combine butter, applesauce, sugar, egg and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients in two batches, mixing well between each batch. Add zucchini and mix to combine then add oatmeal and mix to combine. Cover bowl then place in the refrigerator for one hour, or until dough holds it’s shape when scooped.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop 1 Tablespoon dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets then bake for 18 minutes, or until set on top.
4. Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting.
5. While the cookies are cooling, combine butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Spoon frosting over cookies and refrigerate any leftovers (yeah right) in an airtight container.




That is my recipe which I've modified from zucchini bread.  Over the years, I've learned that for whatever reason my zucchini bread tends to be over done on the outside and a little raw in the middle.  Today, I have solved that issue, in the form of zucchini cookies, yay me!  Who said cookies don't make anything better?

With all the good for you whole grains, zucchini and applesauce, they might count as healthy.  Or maybe at the very least not as bad for you as they could be cookies.  I know better than to eat more than two.  Thank goodness I get to take these babies to a party tonight!  


Zucchini Flour

1. Wash the zuke and pat dry. 
2. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
3. Peel if fine flour is desired (I leave my zuke peels on for coarser flour).
4. Slice into thin strips. (less than .5 inch slices are best)
5. Dry.  Either a food dehydrator or low temp oven will do.
6. Grind dried zukes in a food processor until desired coarseness is achieved.
7. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

This flour is very high in nutrients and I mainly use it as a supplement to the ground whole wheat flour.  For instance, if I'm fixing pancakes for the kiddies, then I toss in a half of a cup to the batter, and a bit more milk too.  They eat their veggies and don't even know it. 

Livestock Dewormer

Ok, I know, this may not be the best place for such a gross topic, but it's really a wonderful use of the over abundance of produce.  For those of you who don't own livestock, I suggest loading up all those zukes and taking them to your nearest goat or sheep farmer.  I'm sure they will be delighted in your generosity, if not impressed by your knowledge of veterinary care.  Zukes, pumpkins and other squash contain natural deworming compounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment