Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 14 & Super Salad

Day 14 was wonderful!  The three minutes went by in a flash and it was easier than ever.  Jean went with me and she did really well too.  She kept up with me and made it look effortless.  I just have one more day before the chart is completed.  Then I'm going to play Beat the Clock, to work on my speed and intensity.  Day 15 will be the last of the interval running. 
 

Super Salad

Kale is my new best friend!  I never would have thought that I'd actually like it this much. 
 
 
It's a little more high maintenance to prepare than your average cabbage, but totally worth it.
 
 
You see, when eating fresh kale it's best to give it a massage first (not kidding).  All you do is after washing it and tearing pieces from the tough stem, rub it between your fingers with a sprinkling of salt. 

 
This process turns pale kale into a deep vibrant green.  Then, you may proceed like any other salad and add the toppings.

 
The original recipe I have calls for sunflower seeds, nuts, chopped apple, Crasins, and onion. 

 
I like maters on my salad so I tossed a bunch of those in too.  The dressing is a cinch to make.  Just whisk your favorite vinegar and oil together with a bit of sugar and freshly ground black pepper.

 
Toss well.  The SUPER thing about this salad is the way you will feel after eating it-- SUPER!

 

Super Salad

 Ingredients:
1 bunch kale
 salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
18 grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 apple, chopped
1/4 cup peanuts
1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Pepper

Directions:
  1. Wash kale, then tear leaves from tough stems.  Tear leaves into bite sized pieces then add to a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and massage with fingers for two minutes, or until kale is dark green and tender. Add onion, tomatoes, dried cranberries, chopped apple, and peanuts, then toss to combine.
  2. Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, and pepper to taste in a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake to combine then drizzle over kale salad and toss well.
 



 


 
 

 















No comments:

Post a Comment