Sunday, April 6, 2014

IYAK-ing at Summit

Hey Ya'All!

I've had an awesome weekend!  Saturday, I kayaked at Summit.  The water was quite choppy when I arrived.

 

The weather was windy and I was concerned with getting soaked from the spray and being to cold. The temp. was 37 degrees when I got there.


The group from IYAK (Indiana Kayakers) agreed to rescue me if the choppiness was too much for my recreational kayak.


The longer kayaks cut through the choppiness much better.  Some of them even have rutters to aid in maneuvering.


Luckily, I didn't have any troubles.


It's so nice having a group of friends to yak with.  Paula's pretty smile:


Time flew by.  We picnicked at the other end of the lake, and surprisingly I was colder off the water than on.


 The wind calmed a bit too, as the day went by.


Their were still gusts of wind that made paddling a serious workout.


Also, I'm glad I had on my neoprene fishing waders, since I don't own a yak skirt.  They got wet, but kept me warm and dry.


The experience was good for me, since I now know more of what my yak can handle.  Plus, Paul lent me his extra paddle because his was longer and lighter than mine.  It made paddling much easier!


I wasn't the only one with a fishing/recreational yak there.  Andrew, the boy in the blue sit-up-on, was there with his Dad, Ed.  They both had fishing yaks and the three of us made a b-line for the ramp at the end.


Here's the causeway where I ice fished less than a month ago:


What a pretty day!


My gloves got wet when I first started out.  Thankfully Andrew had an extra pair on him and they kept my fingers from freezing.


As Ya'All can tell from the pic, I really got me some color!    :)


I was greeted by this girl when I got home:


And she brought her friends over:


I think they were checking to see if I had planted my garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment