Friday, December 14, 2012

Pimento Cheese Spread

Are you on the Naughty or Nice list?  After today, if I wasn't already on the nice list, than I should be for sure now. 


 
 
My family was spoiled tonight!  It started out normal enough.  I tossed some food in the crock pot and called it supper.
 

 
 
A couple links of sausage, some potatoes, and a bunch of veggies all cook up in the crock pot with a cup or so of chicken broth.   I sprinkled it with thyme and tossed a bay leaf in too.
 

 
 
Four hours later, the delicious supper was ready to eat.  This is very good just as it is, but since I had an extra 4 ounces of cheese leftover from making Pimento Cheese Spread, I decided to toss that in too. 
 
 
 
 
Ohh, it was good. Not just any cheese either, good and creamy Velveeta cheese.  Nope, I am not a paid advertiser for Velveeta.
 
 
 
 
The beautiful thing with Velveeta is the way it melts so creamy and smooth.   A double boiler is the perfect thing to use if you have one.  If not, a heavy saucepan will do.  The main thing is to keep the heat low and not allow the cheese to burn to the bottom.
 

 
 
The Pimento Cheese Spread is totally awesome and easy to make. All you do is add a can of Carnation milk to the cheese along with a small amount of sugar, pimentos, mayo and vinegar. All that gets cooked and you're in business!
 

 
 
Originally, I was planning to serve cheese sandwiches along with supper.  After tasting this warm delicious gold, another thought occurred to me-- fondue! 
 

 
 
The recipe makes three pints, so I filled two containers for sandwich spread later and poured the remainder in the fondue dish. 

 



The kids love dipping stuff.  I served toasted bread cubes and apples; it was fantastic!




The apples were especially yummy.  I like the combination of sweet/tart apple with tangy/salty cheese.  Bonus:  the kids thought it was super special.  :)


 
 
Also, cookies were for dessert that Glenn brought home from work.  My favorite is the snicker doodle.  Luckily, my kids like to share, so the way this worked was they got the cookies and just let me have an occasional bite.  Not too bad of a deal.
 
 
 
 
In other news, our elf, Crystal has been making the rounds.  The kids found her hangin out in the manger this morning.  She liked it in there so much she spent two days there--  aka we forgot.  Oops.


 
 

Pimento Cheese Spread

(from Hawkeye)
 
 
Makes 3 pints

2 pounds Velveeta Cheese

1 Lg can Carnation Milk

Small jar chopped pimentos

3 heaping T of mayo

1 T cider vinegar

3 t sugar
 
 
 
Heat milk in double boiler, add cut up cheese, stir till melted. Add remaining ingredients, cover and turn heat to low.  Cook for 30 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.  Pour into jars or container while hot and let cool.  Keep in fridge. Makes a good sandwich snack for kids after school. Yummy.

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment