Saturday, December 1, 2012

Our New House Guest & Sugar Cookies

 
Ohh yeah, time to start the good ole advent calenders!!  Woot woot, it's December first ya'all!  :)
 
 


 
 
This is my favorite advent calender because I have had it as long as I can remember.  If I had to guess, I'd say I got it in 1976.  I remember from back then, my sisters telling me to let them open the window because I would rip it, and that I could ONLY open ONE a day. And OF COURSE I remember waiting extremely impatiently for the ever so anticipated December 24 day to arrive.  That is the big door on there and I knew there just had to be something really great under there.
 
 
Yesterday evening Troy had basketball evaluations.  The coaches rate the kids on various basketball skills to put together teams. 
 
 
 
 
Troy shoots a couple normal shots and then to every one's surprise, he asks the coaches if they would like to see something really cool.  Naturally they did, so Troy turns around and does a back bend granny shot.  Unfortunately, I was laughing to hard to get a pic.
 
 
Our new house guest arrived last night from the North Pole (aka Target)!  She is staying with us until Christmas.  Her name is Crystal Snow and she is an elf on an assignment from Santa.  She is to report back to Santa every night of how the kids are behaving.
 
 
 
 
Troy thinks she is wonderful now.  At first, when I told him about her, he was scared.  He had this idea that some elves are mean.  He thought perhaps we could have a mean elf living with us, and that bothered him.  Now, he is taken by her magic and awwed with thoughts of a creature being so attentive to him.  In other words, Troy is totally cracking me up, because unlike Gladdie, he believes every word of the Elf on the Shelf book is true.
 
Gladys has questions: If I go along with this, will I get more gifts?  Does she have a hidden camera in her head?  
 
Kids are fun, aren't they?
 
 
 
Some of the folk's from our little town of Pendleton invited us to partake in a cookie exchange.  Therefore, we must bake cookies.  Here is a very easy and traditional cookie recipe that has been in my family for at least four generations now:
 


The recipe is in my Grandma Miller's handwriting.  I make these cookies at least once a year.  A mixer is not needed.  Simply mix all the ingredients together.


 
 
Gladys was the designated baker.
 

 
 
She pretty much did everything herself while I kept her entertained taking pictures.  :)
 
 
 
 
These are ready for the oven:

 
 
After they finished baking and had cooled, the kiddies did the funnest part of all--
 
 
 
 
Decorating!!
 
 
 
 
 
Baking cookies and NOT eating them can be challenging. It helps to know that these cookies are destined to go to others. However, because they are just soo freekin delicious, I had a plan in place. The other half of the table is.... fly tying--- YAY! 
 
 



Yes folks, I done dug out my fly tying kit. Fixing to see if I still remember how it's done.


 
 
 
You see, the bonus is-- I cannot eat and tie flys.  For one thing, I'm not all that skilled in tying yet. For another, the feathers and fur make cookie eating rather unappetizing.  Here's hoping the plan works!  :) 
 
 Have a good evening everyone!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment